Monday, May 18, 2009

Tools I'm Using - Part 1

I thought it might be interesting for you to see some of the things I use in the course of my Ph.D. work. Keep in mind some of my requirements:
  • My higher multiple intelligence points are: linguistic, visual, musical, logical/mathematical (which is weird, with my dyscalculia), and intrapersonal.
  • My primary computer for this work is a Mac, but I work on multiple computers throughout the course of a week.
  • I'm really busy, so time and resource management is definitely an issue I need to have under control.

All of these will run on the Mac. However, where they are web-based or can run on Windows also, I'll note that.

Organization tools

  • Google Calendar [free] {iPhone app, web-based} Everything that isn't on my work schedule is on my Google calendar. I also link to my husband's calendar and my kids' calendars, so I know where everyone is. Mostly. I also schedule what tasks I'm working on into Google calendar slots. If I had my way, I'd synchronize my work calendar with this too... but that's not an option that's available, unfortunately.
  • Remember the Milk [free, but I bought Pro license for $25] This is especially helpful for my coursework. At the beginning of the term, I set aside a couple of hours and break down all of the work on my syllabi into manageable chunks, then list those in Remember the Milk with the due dates. A quick look at RTM lets me know what I should be doing each day. I bought the Pro license so that I could use the iPhone app. This way, when I'm sitting in a meeting and have something to add to my to-do list, I can do it immediately and it syncs up with my master list. Important, with all the things I'm trying to juggle.
  • Evernote [free] {iPhone app, Windows, also has web component} Evernote is an amazing application that I am still learning to use effectively. My favorite function of Evernote is that I can grab snapshots of webpages and organize them in ways that are logical, and more importantly, findable again!
Next post: Writing Tools

No comments:

Post a Comment