Monday, June 23, 2008

Electronic Holiday

For the past week, I've been on vacation. My family and I went camping in beautiful Morro Bay, California. My father-in-law proposed the radical rule for this week that we go non-electronic... no cell phones, no iPods, no laptop.

We mostly did it. I claimed a bit of an exemption, since I'm taking an online class an needed to be able to access my class and do homework, and my sister-in-law, mother-in-law and I did go online to find the destination for our traditional yarn shopping expedition.


Unplugging was good for me. Didn't have to worry about keeping the various devices charged. Didn't have to continually pull little white cords out of my kids' ears so I could talk to them (although my daughter and I continue to have short conversations in ASL, headphones or not). I kept the times that I was online incredibly focused, with no extra surfing. Made me think carefully about the technology that I use just because and the technology that really serves a purpose for me. I'd recommend the electronic holiday- just pulling back to the absolute essentials rather than the optional stuff - to anyone looking to find a little more space, both literal and figurative, in their lives.

Of course, you'll notice I'm right back blogging, and later this week I get my new Mac and an iPod Touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment