Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Text to Speech for the Palm?

I admit it - I’m addicted to my handheld computer. Currently, I have a fairly basic Palm Zire31

that I bought when my beloved Treo 90 bit the dust. (I seem to have a penchant for buying handhelds right before they are discontinued.) One of the things I love most about handhelds is the enormous number of applications you can find, with many of them being free or very inexpensive.

Tonight I was roaming the web and got a wild hare to see if any text-to-speech programs were available for the Palm. Lo and behold, they exist! I haven’t tried any of these yet, so if someone else has, I’d love to see comments.

SpeakMemo will read aloud any text in the Memo application. Depending how much text you put into a memo, this could be helpful for users with dyslexia or other visual processing disabilities.

More exciting is the SayIt application. It claims to be “the only global TTS application for the PalmOS that works with most applications with edit text capabilities.” It’s very reasonably priced, so I may just download this and see what it can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment